Main Menu
Publish World Outlook Learn

Plastics

  • [New] PureCycle Technologies, a start-up that licenses P&G's polypropylene recycling process, could open up a wide range of uses for waste plastic that have not previously been feasible. Reuters
  • [New] European plastics producers are committed to the Circular Plastics Alliance target of 10m tonnes of recycled plastics to be used in products by 2025, and they are calling on the European Commission for a target of 30% mandatory recycled content for plastics packaging by 2030. the-future-of-democracy
  • [New] For businesses, a global agreement could alleviate operational complexity, simplify reporting, and critically unlock investment across the plastic value chain. Ellen MacArthur Foundation
  • [New] Without meaningful action, flows of plastic waste into aquatic ecosystems are expected to nearly triple from around 11 million tonnes in 2016 to around 29 million tonnes in 2040. www.cleanseas.org
  • [New] Converting 20% of packaging into reuse models is a USD10bn business opportunity as well as helping to combat plastic pollution and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Packaging Europe
  • [New] Dow Chemicals West Africa sought a technology solution that could track plastic in the informal sector to improve plastics recycling and support the wellbeing of plastic collectors in Ghana's informal sector. The New Dawn Liberia
  • [New] Achieving a circular economy for plastics in Canada by 2030 would save $500 million in costs every year, create tens of thousands of jobs, and substantially reduce greenhouse gas emissions. LinkedIn
  • [New] The rate of tax will be £200 / tonne on plastic packaging that contains less than 30% recycled plastic, and which is manufactured or imported into the UK (including packaging on finished goods which are imported). Grant Thornton UK LLP
  • [New] ABB will supply robotic cells that will enable Zume's production of sustainable packaging on a global scale, helping to reduce reliance on single-use plastics. Robotics & Automation News
  • [New] One of the MMI grants will go to Pact Group, with $20 million to invest in technology that will increase the amount of recycled materials in locally made plastic packaging. Manufacturers' Monthly
  • [New] A saving of 60 million pieces of plastic could allegedly be made if all Tesco shoppers transitioned to the new concentrated solutions with reusable cleaning spray bottles. Packaging Europe
  • [New] EU's targets include an increase in recycling rates for packaging materials; in the case of plastic packaging, the target to be met by 2025 is 50% while the 2030 target is 55%. AZoM.com
  • [New] In 2018 (the most recent year for which data is available), only about 14% of plastic was recycled, which means that the other 86% either becomes litter, landfill, or burned for energy - and needs to be replaced with new virgin plastics in 2022. Civil Eats
  • [New] The use of brand new virgin plastics by some of the world's largest brands has peaked and is on track to fall significantly by 2025 as the use of recycled packaging grows (The Financial Times £). The Grocer
  • [New] Mars has a goal of using 30% average recycled content in its plastic packaging by 2025. Freedonia Group
  • [New] The British Plastics Federation has been working with household waste recycling centres in England on an initiative that will enable more expanded polystyrene to be collected and processed for recycling. CBRE
  • [New] Chemical Recycling Europe emphasises the importance of a Mass-Balance approach going forward, implying that Europe will fail to create a circular economy for plastics and meet net-zero targets by 2050 without it. Packaging Europe
  • Plastic pollution is set to triple by 2040, the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) has predicted, adding 23-37 million metric tons of waste into the world's oceans each year. Reuters
  • If the world was taking the idea of a circular economy seriously, plastic packaging produced from oil and gas could be recycled over and over again without needing to extract more virgin fossil fuels. New Security Beat
  • The fossil fuel industry is making huge investments into plastic production to drive further growth, such that plastic production is expected to double over the next two decades. New Security Beat

Last updated: 05 December 2021


Login